Heating and cooling maintenance is often required to help keep your home as comfortable as possible. However, it can sometimes be difficult to tell when you should call heating and cooling services, or if you just need to keep grabby hands off of the thermostat. If you’re experiencing temperature issues in your home, here are some things to look out for that might mean you need a heating and cooling tune-up.
- A Higher Energy Bill. If you start to notice a hike in your gas or electric bill, that isn’t due to extreme temperatures, it may be a problem with the unit’s efficiency. Sometimes dirt can accumulate and cause this issue, or there could be a small component broken inside; either way it’s best to have a professional take a look.
- Yellow Flame. If you look at your gas furnace and notice that the flame is yellow instead of blue turn off the unit immediately. A yellow flame indicates that there is a carbon monoxide leak. Once the unit is shut off, make sure the house is ventilated and call the repairman as soon as possible.
- Unnatural Noise. It’s normal to heat your heater turning on and running, but if you start to hear squealing or thumping sounds, it’s time to call a professional. While it may be nothing severe, it will at least return your unit to a quiet running state.
- Ice. If you notice ice on your unit during the middle of summer, it’s a sign that your unit isn’t functioning as it should. A heating and cooling maintenance pro will be able to diagnose the problem and tell you which parts need replacing.
- Unusual Noise. Just like with heaters, air conditioning units will make strange sounds when something starts to break down. If you’ve started hearing clunking or whining, ask your repairman.
- Loss of Air. If the air isn’t coming out of your vents as well as it used to, or you have to put your hand up to the vent to even feel the air flow, it’s a definite problem. Typically this signals a duct or blower issues; however, a repairman will be able to notice any other contributing problems.
Additional Heating And Cooling Maintenance Needed Signs
- Temp Difference. If one room in your home always seems hotter or cooler than all the others it could signal the need for duct work, or a new thermostat. A technician will be able to tell exactly what can be done to fix the problem.
- Dust Everywhere. If you’re noticing an inordinate amount of dust in your home, a repairman may be needed to check your filtering system to ensure it is functioning correctly.
- Humidity. If your home feels incredibly humid, you may require additional insulation, or sealed duct work. This will help prevent moisture from escaping into your home. Additionally, adding an air cleaning system to your current unit can also help you combat this problem.
Heating and cooling maintenance is needed every now and again to ensure your home stays as comfortable as possible. If you notice any of the above issues, it’s best to get your system checked out before the problem gets out of hand. Seeking heating and cooling repairs early can help keep your system running longer.