Many Americans enjoy gardening. One aspect of any kind of gardening that people do not always enjoy as much is the weed control that most people have to deal with when they are working in their garden. Luckily, there are some things people can do, in addition to hiring a weed control services company, to cut down on the number of weeds you have in your garden.
- Dig only where you need to dig. There are tons of weed seeds in your soil. To give you an idea of how many weed seeds you have, new research out of Minnesota has shown that if you take a square foot section of soil that is six inches deep, you will find between 98 and 3,068 weed seeds that are viable. They will stay dormant unless they get enough light. The morale of the story is that you can limit the number of weeds that will grow in your yard and garden if you do not inadvertently churn up weed seeds by digging where you do not need to dig. If you have dandelions and that kind of weed, using a sharp knife to cut them off from their root rather than dig out the weed.
- Mulch can be great for weed control. Again, weed seeds do well when they have access to sunlight. Using mulch is a great way to keep the weed seeds from getting any sunlight. If you use organic mulch, you get the benefit of attracting certain insects such as carabid beetles and crickets. These will gladly eat as many weed seeds as they can find. Keep the layer of mulch to about two inches in thickness. Another way you can keep the weed seeds from getting sun is to put down a layer of biodeandshy;gradable fabric or cardboard and then place the mulch on top of that.
- Set a schedule for weed control and stick to it. The first season that you start gardening will be a rough one for weeds. Whether you are new to gardening or you are working in a new space that has not had a cultivated garden, the first season will be filled with weed control plans. If you do not have the time to deal with the weeds in one area, just mow the ares well until you are ready to tackle it. If you do not think you will have the time to weed every day, you can hire someone to help. Not having enough time is a one of the best reasons to hire a weed control company.
- There are good and bad times to pull weeds. Professional weed services will tell you that you should pull out the weeds when the ground is wet and when it is dry, you need to cut them off just beneath the soil line. When you cut them this way, they should just die. When you sever the weed from its roots, you are cutting off access to its food source. This is an effective way to kill your weeds.
- Cut off the heads of your weeds. In terms of weed control, you accomplish several goals when you do this. If you are not able to pull the weeds out, chopping off the top of the weed is the next best thing. In the first place, you will prevent it from producing a bunch of seeds and spreading those throughout your soil. This also makes the weeds use up their energy reserves and that is another way to keep them from spreading their seeds.
- Leave no space for weeds to thrive. One effective strategy for weed control is to plant your flowers close to each other. Planting your flowers close to each other leaves no space for the weeds to grow. If you space your flowers or other plants correctly, you can reduce the number of weeks that you have in your garden by at least 25%. If you are not sure how far apart you should plant your flowers and other plants, talk to the people at the local gardening store.
Total weed control may seem impossible but you can get a great looking garden with some work.