Americans spend a lot of furniture. After buying a house and a car, furniture is the next largest expense a person will have. In 2013, people in the United States spent about $101.41 billion on furniture and other home furnishings. From buying contemporary Italian bedroom furniture to high end leather furniture, home owners do what they can to create more elegant home spaces. There are some other things you can do to spruce up the look of your home.
- Add crown molding to your rooms. You may not think much about your crown molding but it can make a big difference in the look of a home. You may be thinking more about your contemporary Italian bedroom furniture but when you install detailed crown molding in the rooms of your home, you upgrade the look of all of your house. Crown molding has a way of making rooms look more finished and that alone makes them look more elegant. There are a lot of styles that you can choose from so you can get the exact look you want for your home. It can complement any style.
- Pick the right colors for your walls. You probably spent a lot of time picking out your contemporary leather furniture but how much time have you spent picking out the colors of paint for your walls? You should start with the right colors for your walls. They can form the basis of the color palette for your entire home and give it the elegance you are looking for. You can go with dramatic colors or more understated hues. Another way to add flair to a home is to paint the doors black. If you have a black Italian leather sofa, the black doors can really make a statement and bring the room together. The addition of the black doors can make a space look more elegant and dramatic. Consider painting the crown molding a different color from the walls. Color can go a long way towards making your home look classic and chic.
- Add more pillows. Sure you want to have enough pillows to complement your contemporary Italian bedroom furniture but adding them to your living room can make it more elegant as well. Putting more decorative pillows on your contemporary leather sofas can make that furniture more comfortable to sit on but also will give your room a layered look that is inviting and cozy. When you add larger pillows to the space, you give it an elegant and plush look. Go with down filled pillows to really amp up the elegance factor.
- Make your windows look great with the right treatments. When a home does not have window treatments, it just does not look finished. On the other hand, the right window treatments really make a room look elegant and well put together. The right window treatments will give you more privacy and just create a loom for your space that is classic and chic. Natural materials such as linen, silk and cotton never go out of style and will be the perfect complement to your contemporary Italian bedroom furniture, for instance. Some people like to go with wood blinds or bamboo shades, which can also make a home look unique and stylish. The key here is to avoid materials like polyester, which tend to look and feel cheap.
- Pick the right lighting. You can get unique and fun lighting fixtures that will add a lot to the look of your home. Look past the traditional places to find interesting and different lighting fixtures. If you want to give your home a look that is all your own, check out smaller, local stores for your lighting fixtures. If you want custom pieces, check out the local farmer’s market where artisans show off their wares. Some local hardware stores also carry lighting fixtures that may be a little more fun and interesting than the larger furniture and home improvement stores. The right lighting can really make a home look and feel elegant.
Creating an elegant home space takes more than just picking the right furniture. There are a lot of things you can do to upgrade the look of your home.