Ceramic tile is a versatile and fun material. It is most often used in bathrooms and kitchens but really can be used all over the home. It is durable and easy to clean, which is one of the reasons that it is so good in the bathroom. If you are planning a bathroom remodeling job, you are going to want to include tile. Whether you are looking at a bathtub tile installation or redoing the entire space, you are going to want to get the right tile for your space. Here are tips for finding the right tile for your bathroom.
- Start with a tile you really like. There are times when you see a tile in a store that you want to use as an accent piece. You might find some cool artisan tile. You may not want the entire room to be that tile, nor would you dream of using it for a bathtub tile installation but putting a few here and there can create a distinct look for your bathroom. Other times, you do have a tile in mind that is better for bigger spaces. Whichever is the case, you can use that as the basis for the design of your bathroom.
- Keep your look simple. It is good to have up to three different looking tiles in your bathroom but once you get above three different tile designs, you start to have them compete with each other. This will result in a bathroom that looks all together too busy. What you should do is take that favorite tile that you found and use that as the focal point tile. You want all of your tiles to work with and not against each other. Most people pick one tile to go on the floor, another tile for the bathtub tile installation that would be the same as the tile you use on your walls. You can take your accent tile and place them around the room.
- Pick only one tile that is unique. Again, you want your bathroom tiles to all sing from the same hymnal. If you find a tile that has a really cool design you should use solid tiles for the rest of your tiles. This will prevent them from competing with each other. Think about it this way, if you want that one really cool design to be noticed, you need to not put in other tiles that also have neat designs. The look of your bathroom will be disjointed and cluttered if you start layering on too many designs in your bathroom tile. Keep it simple to keep it looking nice and clean!
- Consider how you will maintain your tile. Ceramic tile is easy to maintain. It is easy to replace. If you have one cracked tile, it can be removed and replaced. Because it is so easy to clean, it is perfect for using for when you do a bathtub tile installation. If you are looking to other kinds of tile, stone tile can add a really nice texture to your bathroom. Glass tiles are beautiful, there is no doubt about that but never use them on the floor in the bathroom because they are so slippery. Whatever tile you choose, you need to make sure it is sealed properly. Stone tile, for instance, absolutely needs to be sealed but not all ceramic tile needs the same thing.
- Look at the size of your bathroom. If you have a larger bathroom, you may want to consider tiles that are larger. These are very popular now for bathrooms. These would not be used for bathtub tile installation, of course. If you find a larger tile that you really like but have a smaller bathroom, you can have some of that tile cut into smaller tiles for your bathroom. If you use larger tile you can also have smaller tile cut from it to use in the shower or that could be used in a bathtub tile installation. The possibilities are endless when it comes to tiling a bathroom.
The key to getting what you want is really knowing what you want so you should do some research on tile before you start.