Before you contact any bathroom remodeling companies about your desired home renovation, plan your work using these tips to increase your home’s resale value. Designer Lisa Holt offers helpful advice on common small bathroom mistakes and how to solve them, but we have also included our expert advice on maximizing your home’s resale value.
- To maximize your resale value, add a bathroom to your home. If your home has one bathroom, the importance of adding a second one increases because homes with two or more bathrooms sell for more money. A walk-in closet offers the appropriate amount of space for a small bathroom.
- Second, plan your bathroom colors first, choosing a darker color for the floor than for the walls. Keep the walls a light color, such as white, cream, or light blue.
- Install large, oversized tiles of at least 18×18 inches if you use tiles in the bath. Larger tiles reduce the amount of grout needed, creating a more uniform installation. This makes a small space seem larger.
- Hang a mirror that spans the space above the sink. If it goes from wall to wall, that’s best. It creates an optical illusion that seemingly doubles the room’s size.
- Ask each of the bathroom remodeling companies you contact if they have an interior designer on staff. If so, ask for a consultation appointment. The designer can help you make design choices to wisely utilize your bathroom space.
Making the decision to remodel your home can be a stressful one. The expenses upfront might seem staunch. However, research has found that great bathroom renovations often net a healthy return on investment. Do your due diligence and you’ll be rewarded!