Geothermal heating systems are experiencing a sudden burst of popularity right now, and more homeowners than ever before are getting interested in what these types of home heating and cooling systems have to offer. If you’ve been thinking about replacing your old home heating system with a geothermal heater, here are a few things you should know about geothermal heat:
- Geothermal heat pumps are fairly new in the home heating system industry — they became popular in American homes during the 1940s as an alternative to air-source heat pumps, and they manage the indoor temperature of a home by using heat energy from deep below the ground’s surface (instead of taking air from outside the house and heating it up).
- There are four basic types of geothermal home heating systems — three are called “closed loop” systems and the fourth is called “open loop.” A closed loop system had pipes that run through the ground either horizontally or vertically, while an open loop system uses pipes that absorb heat from water (either from a body of water or by means of underground well water) and which come into direct contact with the water; open loop systems are only advisable in areas where plenty of clean water is available.
- The most effective type of geothermal heating system for your house will largely depend on a few factors: the overall climate, the condition of the soil around your house, how much land is available, and how much you can spend on a new heating and cooling system.
- The main benefit of using a geothermal heating system is that it uses less electricity than a conventional heating system — anywhere between 25% to 50% less energy, in fact. If you’re concerned with reducing your carbon footprint or concerned with saving money on your energy bills, geothermal systems are a great option.
- Another benefit of geothermal home heating systems is that they’re incredibly secure and reliable. With fewer individual parts than a conventional heater, a geothermal heat pump is less likely to require multiple repairs, and warranties usually last at least 20 years.
As with any major change in your home heating system, it’s always a good idea to call up your local HVAC repair company and speak with a professional about which HVAC system option will be the best one for your house. Check out this site for more.